The Famalicão Municipal Market was opened September 21st 1952. The purpose of this project was to decongest the old fairgrounds, which is today known as D. Maria II Square, and to create a more pleasant space with better hygienic conditions.
At the time of the intervention, the Market was a space in decline with a shrinking customer base that could not attract new or diverse customers.
The structure consists of three rectangular, contiguous buildings, with a tower that bears the City’s coat of arms, which marks the transition between D. Maria II Square and Capitão Manuel Carvalho Street. A higher elevation gives visitors to the Market’s courtyard square access through two entrances to the north, by the captain Manuel Carvalho Street and to the west by the D. Maria II Square.
The lower courtyard was supported by three buildings in which were sold meat, fish, and fruit.The main volume of the building, which was maintained and rehabilitated in the architectural project, takes the form of a broken line on the blueprint, but at a higher level it runs along the street front. The interior spaces are occupied by several high-end retail and service establishments.
The intervention on the Famalicão Municipal Market aimed to rehabilitate its building structure in order to enhance its architectural character and improve the existing conditions.Besides restoring the existing building, a new metallic structure was built and opened, allowing for the expansion of the permanent and cyclical farmer’s Market, as well as an opening to the new urban front that faces the Marechal Humberto Delgado Avenue and Mouzinho de Albuquerque Square.The interventions aimed at the well-being of public space are guaranteed to protect architectural artifacts inherited from the past, along with enjoying urbanity.
The new coating of this body will guarantee the shading and waterproofing of the space. It is based on a triangular module, which also allows for greater integration in the surroundings.
Firm: Rui Ribeiro, Arq
Architectural photographer: Ivo Tavares Studio
Location: Vila Nova de Famalicão